Violence in School is on the rise and is a National crisis.
During the past 40 years two “generations” of our children have been subjected to an ever-increasing barrage of violence, hatred and abuse. Too many children spend hours each day playing violent video games, listening to anti-social and violent music with negative lyrics, and watching violent movies and TV programs. If it’s true that we are what we eat, is it also true we are what we watch and read? Is it reasonable to expect children who spend hours upon hours watching and playing hours upon hours of violence, to have kindness in their hearts? Let’s take a look at the following 2014 statistics:
- 749,200 nonfatal violent victimizations at school among students 12 to 18 years of age.
- 19.6% reported being bullied on school property and 14.8% reported being bullied electronically during the 12 months before the survey.
- Approximately 9% of teachers report that they have been threatened with injury by a student from their school
- 5% of school teachers reported that they had been physically attacked by a student from their school.
- 18% of students ages 12–18 reported that gangs were present at their school during the school year.
- 8.1% reported being in a physical fight on school property in the 12 months before the survey.
- 7.1% reported that they did not go to school on one or more days in the 30 days before the survey because they felt unsafe at school or on their way to or from school.
- 5.2% reported carrying a weapon (gun, knife or club) on school property on one or more days in the 30 days before the survey.
- 6.9% reported being threatened or injured with a weapon on school property one or more times in the 12 months before the survey.
Many schools are adopting programs to prevent bullying and increased violence in our schools. But to really correct the problem, it will take a dramatic change from the culture of violence to one of Kindness.
It’s time to act. Please fill out the following form here and send it to us so we can put you on our partner list. All of your information will be kept strictly private and it will never be given out for any reason to third parties. Partner with us and let’s start working to put Kindness back into schools.